UW Badger Basketball
Wisconsin vs Michigan
Time: Sunday, 3:00 PM CT
Location: Crissler Arena, Ann Arbor, MI
Badger Game Preview - First Easy Trey:
1. The Badgers are 17-5 and ranked 16th in the nation, Michigan is ranked and is 11-11 overall and 4-6 in the conference. Michigan has beaten Ohio State (no Evan Turner),Penn State,Iowa, and Indiana and lost to Indiana,Northwestern,Purdue,Wisconsin, and Michigan State. Michigan lost their last game to Northwestern 67-52 on the road this Tuesday. The Badgers beat Michigan at the Kohl Center by a score of 54-48 on the 20th of January. The Badgers were down for much of that game due to poor three point shooting (16.7%), and were saved by Rob Wilson's breakout game and Trevon Hughes. DeShawn Sims led the Michigan effort with 23 points. Of note in the win is the Badgers bench outscored Michigan's bench 19 to 1.
2. Michigan starts DeShawn Sims at forward and Manny Harris, Laval Lucas Perry,Stu Douglass, and Zach Novak at the guards. Manny Harris and DeShawn Sims do the bulk of the scoring at 18.7 and 17 points a game. Michigan is not a deep team and their bench doesn't give much of a contribution as evidence by their one point in the last meeting between the two teams however in their last loss freshman guard Darius Morris had 11 points on the road so keep an eye on him.
3. The Badgers have won 7 straight games against the Wolverines with the last loss a 85-76 defeat in Ann Arbor in 2006. The Badgers will be looking to break a two game losing streak on the road as they lost at Ohio State and narrowly lost to Purdue last Thursday.
Badger Game Preview - Fast Break Keys to the Game:
1. Trevon Hughes needs to get back on track as he has had a couple of really rough games in a row. Michigan looks like the team to do it against as he has averaged 18.3 points in his last three games against them. Trevon has had trouble with his shots falling through the net and he has compounded that with poor shot selection at times, the Badgers need him to regain the focus he was showing earlier in the season.
2. The Badgers need Rob Wilson and Ryan Evans to continue to emerge as players. These two could have a big day against Michigan as they should be able to abuse the Michigan bench if given the chance. In addition look for Mike B. to get in the game if the Badgers shots aren't falling as he could create a huge rebounding advantage.
3. The Badgers have a lot of scoring options on this team and need to do a heat check if you will on different players to see if they are feeling their shot. There is no reason for anyone but Trevon on this team to keep jacking up shots if they are having a rough night, see if one of the other players is feeling it and start feeding him the ball. Nankivil in particular has been on fire from the field the last couple of games but the Badgers seemingly didn't even look to get him involved in the offense at times against Michigan State.
Badger Game Preview Prediction:
The Badgers are appearing to come together more and more without Leuer, however Michigan has really played very well at home this year. We are going to go out on a limb and say the Badgers will torch Michigan 65-50 as Nankivil, Hughes, and Taylor have big days in addition to the Badgers bench owning Michigan's.
Here is hoping we aren't wrong!