Wisconsin vs Ohio State
TV: Big Ten Network
Time: 7:00 PM CT
Location: Value City Arena, Columbus OH
First Easy Trey:
1. The Badgers are 14-3 and ranked 16th in the nation, Ohio State is 12-5 and unranked but like the Badgers they beat Purdue but even more impressive was that it was at Purdue. Overall Ohio State is 2-3 in the Big Ten with the losses coming to Michigan and Minnesota and the other win comig against Indiana.
2. The Badgers won this years meeting at the Kohl Center in impressive fashion 65-43 but this meeting will have different lineups as Ohio State's star Evan Turner is back and the Badger star Jon Leuer is out indefinitely. In the Buckeyes come from behind win at Purdue Turner scored a career high 32 points, so the difference with him on the court should be dramatic. Ohio State will likely start Dale Lauderdale at forward, Evan Turner and David Lighty at guard/forward, and Jon Diebler and Will Bueford as the guards. Jeremie Simmons a senior guard is Ohio States key reserve.
3. The Badgers won their last game in Columbus by a score of 58-53 in 2008 but Trevon Hughes had an awful night missing 7 shots and finishing with just 2 points.
Badgers Fast Break Keys to the Game:
1. The Badgers clearly need to contain Evan Turner he can't have 32 points like he did against Purdue. The Badgers need to get in Turner's face and make him work hard for shots, and allow other Buckeye players to try and beat them because the Badgers last meeting showed they match up pretty good against the other Buckeye players.
2. The Badgers guard play needs to stay at the high level it has been playing with on the offensive end. Against Ohio State though Trevon Hughes needs to have a complete game for a Badger win, Hughes played well in the last seven minutes against Northwestern but before then he was a non factor. We look for Jordan Taylor to have a big game today against Ohio State. The Badgers guards in the first half against the Wildcats were giving up to open of 3 attempts but closed out better in the second half, the guards and the rest of the Badgers will need to play strong 3 point defense from the get go as the Buckeyes torched the nets shooting 45% from three point range and 51% from the field.
3. In the last meeting the Badgers bench owned Ohio States limited bench by a huge margin, that needs to continue. The Badgers bench has been thinned with the loss of Jon Leuer necessitating Taylor being promoted, however the Badgers need Mike B. or Rob Wilson to pick up a little bit of slack on the offensive end. Both of these players have shown flashes of being able to contribute 5 to 10 points per game and now with more playing time they need to get comfortable and do it. One thing you should look for is Mike B. to continue his strong rebounding numbers against the Buckeyes.
Final Thought / Prediction:
Look for the Badgers to win this game 63-60 as the Badgers will contain Evan Turner and Jason Bohannon and Jordan Taylor will have very solid games on offense. Taylor will drive allowing the likes of JBo,Hughes, and Nankivil to knock down open jumpers. Look for Evans and Mike B. to play solid defense that keys the Badgers run to the lead.