Wisconsin - Arizona
Final Score Wisconsin 65 - Arizona 61
Quick Game Recap:
1. Badgers jumped out to a 14 point lead as it took Arizona 5 minutes and change to score their first points.
2. Fouls were a plenty in this game with all of the Badger bigs getting in early foul trouble, Jon Leuer had a game to forget as he played sparingly and fouled out. The fouls calls were decisively against the Badgers in the first half, however they began to even out in the second. Do to the foul trouble of the Badgers big men Bo Ryan was forced to use an unusual four guard line up that clearly had its drawbacks with scoring power and rebounding ability.
3. Trevon Hughes had his bad moments but was a senior leader on this night taking the team on his back with determination and hustle. The best example was when he sealed the victory with five seconds left by stealing the ball off of a rebounded free throw attempt. Hughes finished with 24 points to lead the team in scoring.
4. Mike Bruesewitz played some really good minutes in this game coming in even before the foul trouble hit the Badgers. Mike really did some great things in this game and it looks like he made the right decision not to red shirt this year. Bruesewitz finished with 6 points and 6 rebounds. He made plays on both offense and defense that showed he belonged, and he showed he was a true Badger with not thinking twice about diving to the deck for the loose ball.
5. Keaton Nankivil didn't spend a lot of time on the court due to the officials fast whistles, however he did finish with 12 points. Nankivil did most of his damage on this night inside finishing off offensive rebounds with thunderous dunks, it was great to see his explosiveness.
6. You have to worry about where this teams scoring is going to come from this year, it looks like there are to many players in the rotation at this point who just are not scorers yet. Ryan Evans, Jared Berggren and Tim Jarmusz barely seem to look for ways to score while Jordan Taylor was shooting bricks at 1 of 7 on the night. The one positive on the night is that Bruesewitz looks like a player that will put some points on the board as he gets more game experience.
7. The Badgers misses with big men recruits nearly came back to haunt them in this game as Arizona got back in the game with Nankivil and Leuer on the bench. As stated earlier the Badgers went to a 4 guard rotation and that wouldn't have had to happen for as long of a period of time if Bo Ryan could trust J.P. Gavinski or Ian Markolf for even thirty seconds of court time. Frankly it is surprising that Bo can't get these guys to at least learn defense well enough to put a body on someone down low and maybe grab a rebound. I don't want to say it but he might have to look at his coaching staff and see if there is improvement to be made on getting a coach that can teach big man fundamentals.
8. Arizona is a young team with only one senior and two juniors on the squad, however they have talent and former Xavier coach Sean Miller has them playing very hard especially on the defensive end.
9. Overall it is great to get the win as this team will get a nice test from Gonzaga in their next game. Gonzaga beat Colorado by a score of 76 - 72 to advance. Game time Tuesday at 8:30 PM CT (make sure and double check this time).
|                                    UW Badgers Mix blog         Write for UW Badger blog    |
|Write about the Badgers||
We believe that you the avid fan, student journalist, and or freelance writer deserve to be heard. Avid fans have a strong desire to hear from the common (or not so common) "man" as well. You are always free to write about the material of your choice, in your own unique style, and on your own schedule. So vent,enlighten and share with us!
Contact us at: email@example.com
|Enjoy Badgers rumors, news, talk?||
Please help us spread the word on the Sports Mixed Network by letting friends, and family know about it. The more we grow our community of avid fans, the more features we can add. So please send a Tweet, Facebook message or better yet tell them in person.